Friday, October 28, 2011

Working Mother

Yes, another post about going back to work.  I write about what I'm doing or thinking...so..that's what you get :)

The second and third days back to work proved even better than the first.  I went to a few meetings where I talked about things that weren't related to poop or vitamins or napping or...  I used big words.  It was fun.  As far as competence at work goes, I can kind of sort of see the loop, but I'm by no means in the loop.  Luckily, I'm good at drawing inferences from nuggets of information and can participate without seeming like a moron (I hope).  If that doesn't work, I can always fall back on maternity leave for an excuse.  And I did.  A big wig in the district asked me some question about what teachers were doing at one of my buildings and I was able to tell her that I had been in the building for 2 hours, so I wasn't quite sure.

Pretty soon I won't be able to use maternity leave as an excuse, so I am milking the crap out of it now.

Mac reportedly had great days at daycare, which calmed me down a lot.  He seems happy and content in the evenings and mornings--so maybe it's good for him.  It's no secret that it does kill me to be away from him for SO MANY hours during the day, but I feel more like myself now.  Turns out that a daily shower, clothes that aren't sweats, and feeling needed on a professional level make me feel like me.  Both of my schools have been great--multiple people have welcomed me back with treats and I even had a few tell me thank you for "everything" when I ran into them.

To summarize: I miss my big baby, but I think this can work.  Until we're independently wealthy, that is.  Then David and I both quit our jobs :)

1 comment:

  1. Going back to work is hard but it makes the moments you spend with your little one that much more special! I'm glad to hear you are all handling the trasition well!

    ReplyDelete