Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Early Wake Up Calls



This year, I only work at one school.  That school dismisses at 2:26, meaning I can contractually leave at 2:46.  I capitalized on this, rushing home to work out before picking up Mac.  I found that I could easily do a 3-4 mile run or a workout video while still being on time to pick him up.  I felt like supermom :)

Then I got busy at work.  It's a blessing (in the form of job security) to be busy, but it also means that I am consistently asked to stay late to work with teams.  That means that working out had to wait until David got home from work.  Since he's on a more typical work schedule, he's usually not home until 6 or 6:30.  By the time I worked out, we didn't eat dinner until 7:30 or 8...which messed with my world and general pleasantness.

I came to a conclusion.  I could not consistently refuse to stay after and work with teams and feel secure in my job and I could not happily wait for David to get home from work to exercise.  So, I work out before work.

Seems like a no-brainer, right?  It would, except I am at work before 7 each day and working out before work means at 4:45 wake up call.

Yeah.  4:45.

Last week was rough--hence why blogging didn't happen.  Now, it's getting better.  I think your body can get used to almost anything and it's really only 45-60 minutes earlier than I was getting up.  On the plus side, I am able to run errands on the days when I don't have to stay late.

What sacrifices have you made to fit in work outs and stay professional?  Can someone send some support my way?

Also, I ran my first 5k in ages (I usually just run a half marathon or two a year) and finished in around 29 minutes!  While I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination, that was far faster than I was expecting! Woot!


No comments:

Post a Comment