Tuesday, October 20, 2009

MARATHON!

We're back from San Francisco...and it was a great time. Seriously, it was one of the best trips I had been on in a long time.



Friday evening, after Mom and Grandma had arrived at the hotel, we decided to load up and ride a trolley down to fisherman's wharf.



Cute, huh?David had some amazing crab, and I have to say that I was pretty darn jealous...especially since I was trying to carb it up :)



Just kidding...I love carbs. A lot.Saturday, David and his mom went to Alcatraz, while Grandma, Mom, and I opted to take a bus tour around town... I was trying to save my legs and a bus tour was just the ticket.


Plus, I got to take this amazing picture at the bridge AND go see the Ghiradeli Chocolate Factory (because chocolate is a carb, right?).Then I took Mom and Grandma over to Nike Town (where we did more than our share to boost the economy). Can you find my name on the wall? I'll give you a hint... I registered before I was married, so it's not my married name...Then I freaked myself out by looking at the giant race course map and noticing that mile 6 to 7 was all uphill.



Glorious. Just glorious.We went out to dinner that night and I ate spaghetti with a side of steamed potatoes.


Ugh, I felt bloated and full...but I fell asleep dreaming that the race was already over and I had survived.



Imagine my surprise when I woke up to realize that I had not run it yet.


Booo!



Here's me, posing and waiting for the race to start.And David, fully supporting me, like always.The starting line was a madhouse...and pitch dark. Here I am, finally reaching the starting line about 17 minutes after the race started. I had to walk all the way to that point, so I still look happy and refreshed.The faithful supporters loaded up on a school bus and headed off to support me at various stops along the way.Here's mile 11, where the full and the half split. I seriously considered just taking the half path and claiming that I got confused.Notice how fresh and happy I still look at mile 11? That only lasted about 2 more seconds...then I realized that I had about 15.2 more miles to run.And there I go... already sweating through my clothes. The girl in blue was also from St. Louis...her name was Kelly and we chatted for about 15 miles. I also talked to a lady who had Swine Flu all last month and was still running. Yikes!Here's the finish line... what a beautiful sight.And here I come...running like my life depends on it.I'm finished...back off, because I need a bagel.And a free Tiffany's necklace (yes!).And a hug.Here's my "official" time... Four Hours, Thirty-Nine Minutes, and Thirty-Six Seconds.
You'll notice that I ran .32 miles extra while weaving in and out of walkers.I'm so happy that it's over.My darling finisher's shirt. I totally earned it :)David thought this picture would be funny.
I was willing to agree to anything to get to an ice bath.Mom bought me these new shoes. They kind of look like slippers...but they were so comfortable. I may never wear anything else.
Never.After the race, they changed the sign from "Run Like a Girl" to "Ran Like a Girl." Of course, I had to patronize Nike again :) They had finishers' apparel for purchase!!!
We had a nice dinner the night after the race... pizza that only required the trek up one giant hill. Good conversation and complete exhaustion :)
The next day, Mom and Grandma flew out early. David, Debra, and I had some time to kill before our flight, so we had a late breakfast at a cute diner. Then we headed to the airport...only to find that our flight was delayed. By 3 hours. Getting home after 1am was a little rough, especially since I get up at 5:30 for work. However, the return was made so much easier because Debra gave me her FIRST CLASS seat.
We're talking about heaven here, folks. I got some awesome food (ice cream!) and wine. David asked how many glasses I had...but I had no idea. They never let my glass get empty, so I maintain that I only had 1 glass. Alcohol welcomed me back with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment