Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New Year's Resolution


Yeah, I know it's January 26th. This didn't just start today, but I just realized that I never blogged about my New Year's Resolution.


Here's the story, Morning Glory.


I get up super early for work. Depending on the day and which school I'm going to, I either get up at 5:30 or 6 am. Before this job, I always got up super early and went to the gym/on a run before work. Then I would come home, clean up, and be on my merry way. But the 5:30/6am wake up calls don't include time to sweat. I figured out that if I wanted to do even a 4 mile run before work I'd have to get up at 4am to get dressed, have some, ahem, bodily functions (cause if you've ever tried to run without allowing time for this, I pity you), drive to the park, run, and drive home before getting ready for the day.


4 am just isn't happening.


So I run/workout after work...which works out fine because I get off work either at 2:35 or 3:12 (totally worth the early wake-up calls). The problem is that I enjoy morning showers. REALLY enjoy morning showers. Feel gross and bad-haired if I take a night shower. I don't want a double-shower, because then my hair gets oily very quickly and my skin dries out.
So, I would just go to bed and shower the next day. I never went to bed actually sweaty, mostly because there were large gaps of time between exercise ending and sleeping beginning. I used that time to air-dry.
Fast-forward to vacation (OOOH VACATION! I STILL NEED TO POST PICTURES). I found out, during a conversation with David and my mom, that my lack of night-time showers really bothers David. REALLY bothers him. Enough that he would complain to my mom (and, yes, the rest of my family) about how gross it is.
Waaaaa?
I mean, I know it kinda bothered David, because he'd make little comments about "how good a shower would feel" and how he "can't sleep sweaty." I figured it was just him giving me a hard time.
Nope.
Therefore, in an effort to be a good/better spouse, my New Year's resolution is to shower after working out.
So far, so good. I told David that I'll give it a full month. I don't really like what my hair looks like at work, but I'll double-shower (booo, hisss) before important days.
The things I do for love.

7 comments:

  1. I remember a similar conversation 10 or so years ago with your Mom and Lindy...weird.

    Have you considered showering after your workout, but not washing your hair? That gets rid of the BO and then you don't have to double wash your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Erin...two showers? Ugh.

    Plus, my hair is usually wet when I finish running. That may very well be the grossest part of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you discussed with David the importance of showering period...I can recall at least 2 conversations with him about going days without showering. Really not sure he can complain :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well clearly these's no middle ground, either you both bathe twice a day or not at all. that seems to be the only logical settlement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You both make very good points. I vote we both give up bathing for the immediate future. How long do you think we can hold out? Will either of you come visit us?

    Also...I'm considering hot rollers to help my hair in the morning. Can you even buy those any more?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've considered the same thing, but failed to follow through with the purchase b/c i've never used hot rollers and they kind of intimidate me. I think you can find them at Target, Walmart or even a Beauty Brands.

    I will not come visit if you don't bathe...that grosses me out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own hot rollers so yes you can purchase them...I used to use them everyday in high school when my hair was longer now just every once in a while...but they really are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete