Thursday, January 28, 2010

TMI Thursday

Wanna see something gross?

No?

Sorry, don't care. I think gross things are cool. This might be because my dad's a veterinarian and I spent most of my childhood looking and examining gross things.

It was awesome. Except, of course, when I would faint. Fainting the clinic was no fun. Dad would make fun of me and I would usually hit my head. Those, however, are stories for other days.
So, anyway, back to the grossness at hand. I have really ugly feet. My brother, Kyle, likes to refer to them as my "hooves." A few years ago, that probably would have made me cry (or at least go off somewhere to pout), but I've recently come to the realization that they actually are pretty hoof-like. More Flintstone than Rolling Stone, if you get my drift.
Yesterday, after my evening (ugh) shower, I glanced down. I'm getting ready to lose another toenail. Yep, it's the fourth toe. And, yes, the 3rd and pinky toes are already nail-less. My 2nd toe (which, fortunately, you can't tell is also my longest) is having some issues right now, but I'm pretty sure that nail is going to hang out. And my thumb-toe (1st toe? big toe?) is in the process of growing back...about 75% there. Mercifully, I cropped that toe out.
I lost my first toenail right after my 1st half marathon. At the time, I thought it was pretty cool. You know, like a scar I could wear proudly. Since my feet are already pretty unsettling, losing a couple of toenails wasn't the end of the world.
I realize that I shouldn't be losing toenails due to running. I've gone up shoe sizes, and bought a variety of different pairs. All the other pairs always rub my feet funny and cause blisters in random places. I always gravitate back to my favorite (and first) pair... Mizzuno Wave Creation. I figure that if they feel good 100% of the time, a few missing toenails are worth the price.
Plus, what if I just have horrible genetics and would lose nails no matter what? No one in my immediate family runs, so I have nothing to compare myself too. I also have the ugliest feet in my family, so I might blame my shame on whatever accident caused that too.
Aren't you glad you read this today?

No comments:

Post a Comment