Saturday, December 12, 2009

Winter Running

I thought this week would be the week that did me in. On Wednesday, the highs were apparently in the 10's...so cold that the weather guy couldn't give an actual number.

And he was right. Wednesday was terrible, horrible, no-good, and very bad. I didn't run. And it made me cranky, as everyone (or just David) predicted.

Happily, though...that was my only rest day this week. I fought the cold every other day. It's not so bad outside, once you get going. Anything's better than doing those long runs on a treadmill.

I'm still fighting the need to join a gym. As I said, I HATE the treadmill, even though sometimes it's a blessing in yucky weather. Beyond just hating it, my pace is so much slower on the treadmill...like 30-40 seconds/mile. Since my goal is to do a sub-two half, I need to make sure my long run pace is at or under 9 min/mile. Lately, outside, I've been rocking. My run yesterday was at 8:25 min/mile for 5 miles. Sadly, horribly, I can only seem go to 9:05 min/mile on the treadmill.

I need a workout buddy that's doing an 8:15-8:20 min/mile..,and that can force me to do some strength training. That's one of the main fall backs of not having a gym--any and all weight training I do is at home and half-assed. I did buy some new workout dvd's that focused more on strength than cardio, so we'll see. I'm developing a love/hate/obsession with Jillian Michaels, even though I can't force myself to watch that show anymore.

Also, I found this race yesterday and am totally signing up for it...

http://frozenbunsrun.blogspot.com/

Sorry for the rambling post...I'm proctoring the ACT today and have my bag packed to go run right after this. My mind must be a little stuck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment