Friday, August 3, 2012

Peace Corps Email #4


Maxi-Taxis

Original Sent Date: October 28, 2004

Hi friends,

So last night I was asleep in my room.  I woke up to what I thought was my host brother wiggling my bed (he's done this before as a joke)... I rolled over and told him to go away (In Romanian-- can you believe it?) and realized I was alone in my room and that the light was shaking and there was all this rumbling.  I was in a real, wake you up, knock things off walls earthquake!  How cool is that?  My pal from California, Corissa, says she thinks it was a 5 or 6, whatever that means.  Anyway, I come to Moldova and experience earthquakes... I knew there had to be more to this country than bathing in a bucket!

And, I bought a cell phone.  I know, I know, I live in the poorest country in Europe, and I should learn to unattach it from my ear, but I'm an addict and I've learned to accept it, alright?  Anyway, my number is (this is to dial from the states) Deleted in case some poor Moldovan now has my number... I think there might be calling cards on the internet.
Anyway, it all works.

I also know where I am going to be living for the next 2 years.... I picked out my host family and I will have a "Casa Mica" of my own.  Basically, I have my own, tiny house and (GASP!!) I think I might have a flush toilet.  I'm not going to hold my breath, because running water is iffy in villages, but I did see a toilet.  Of course, I have only seen people using the outhouse, but a girl can dream right?

Oh man, I think my standards have lowered.  My dreams consist of flush toilets and I think I'm not so dirty now and could go a couple more days without bathing since I (just!) bathed on Monday night.  Oh man, today's Thursday... I'm sure I can make it until Saturday, at least.

When I come home, I'm going to be that girl who smells with really greasy hair....

Anyway, I know my address for the next two years, but the Peace Corps office has a special deal with customs, so just keep sending things to Corpul Pacii until I tell you all different.  In case you're not sure what that was or need a little extra incentive to get out your pens (I am so subtle!), the address is:

Again, deleted... but you can see how needy I was for contact :)
 
I finally figured out how to send things out of this country by Air Mail, so maybe some of you will get letters soon.... If I sent it not by airmail, I guess it could be months.  I really should have learned the word for "air" a little sooner....

After I send this, I'm going to attempt to send some pictures, but I'm not going to promise anything.  I'm sure you all have forgotten what I look like and wanting a new wallpaper for your background... oh, I kid myself.  Silly, Silly.

I miss you all!  I'm going to try to reply to the personal e-mails, but I get kicked off the internet all the time.  Thank you for them anyway!

Love and Smooches,


Darcie

Dorinta, the center where I worked in Moldova

These chairs are the various sites of volunteers in Moldova.  It was a pretty cool way to announce our sites.

Me and my host family's dog, Like.  I found out later that they eventually abandoned him.  Life is cruel in Moldova.

No comments:

Post a Comment