Friday, August 31, 2012

Peace Corps Email #8



Craciun Ferecit

Original Sent Date: January 6, 2005

Hello friends!

Things in Moldova are going... a little slow for the last two weeks because it's the holiday season and everything closes down here, but still good.  My center closed on the 24th of December and won't reopen until the 10th of January.  The schools here will be closed until the 15th of January.  Needless to say, I've been reading a lot.  Last night, I finished my 20th book in Moldova.
For New Year's, I went to my friend Molly's in Nisporeni.  I spent it with her family, all of whom were drunk before I arrived at 6pm.  Moldovan's know how to celebrate... her father encouraged me to take one too many shots of rachiu (or known as everclear in America).  He stood up and began dancing around the room, all alone.  I sat in the corner, hoping to fade into the background as his outy-belly button wiggled in my face.  Luckily, his wife told him to get his "burta mare" or big belly out from in from of the tv.
Molly gave in and took a shot of everclear too... the problem with Molly is that she's not a very experienced drinker.  She immediately turned a bright shade of fuchsia (difficult for someone of Korean descent) and fell over.  Not to fear, she recovered enough to drink the next day at noon.  The Moldovans can celebrate!
On my way home, the bus driver screamed at me because there was mud on my boots.  I was a little confused as to what he wanted from be, seeing as there was ankle-deep mud immediately in front of where I got on the bus.  Oh, conundrums.
Today, I came to the capital. In honor of this trip, I bathed for the first time in the new year (yes, I realize it's the 6th).  The problem is, though my castle in Moldova has running water... the water hasn't worked yet in 2005.  So, I resort to my spot-checks of the areas most prone to smelling.
I spent a little bit of time at the piata today, or outdoor market.  That is an area of contrasts.  I was looking for slippers.  In the booth next to the slippers was a pig head.  I'm not sure how fresh it was, as it was a little yellow.  But then, I'm not sure exactly how long a pig head stays good when sitting out in the open air of a market.  Talk about convenience, though!  Buy a pig head, walk 5 feet, and buy slippers.

Tomorrow, I'm going somewhere with my host family to celebrate the Moldovan Christmas.  I'm not sure what we'll do, but chances are it will involve singing songs, eating too much, and drinking.  Wish me luck.

Toodles,

Darcie





No comments:

Post a Comment