Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bike

This is my bike.
I love her.  I bought her with birthday money from Mom and Dad when I turned 25.
She was great back then... I was WAAAY out of shape, and she was perfect for riding the mile and a half I lived from Wash U.

Then I moved and this loverly ended up living in my friend Jess's basement for the last, um, 2.5 years.

Sorry, Jess.  You were a real trooper on that one.

Anyway, with my marathon training plan, I only run 3 days a week and I need to fill in another 3 days with cross-training.  The pool at my gym is kind of a pain to get to (because of class schedules and kids camps), so I decided to drag out my old friend.

While I still love my bike... she might not be the ticket for the biking I want to do.  It's really tough on my pride to be slower than, um, everyone on the trail.  Plus, this sucker is HEAVY.

The other day I was on the trail and I had a nice chat with a random guy.  He let me know that my seat needed to be higher and gave me some other random pointers.  He also let me know that I would really struggle to compete with my California Cruiser.

Oh man!  It's no secret that I want to do a triathlon eventually.

I need a road bike!

Reality check: road bikes are expensive.  

Some girls I work with are doing a sprint distance triathlon on Sunday... and one of them was telling me that I should do it with my California cruiser.  It's a 300 yard swim, 18 mile bike, and 5k.  I could do the swim in 20ish minutes (full guess b/c I have no idea how long my gym pool is) and the 5k in less than 30 minutes.  But the bike would take me over 90 minutes.  Doesn't that seem a little disproportionate?  
I don't know if my pride could handle being the slowest person on the bike portion.

I think the triathlons will have to wait until I can save up for a bike.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment