Friday, August 27, 2010

Random Workout Thoughts

I've really been upping the level of my workouts lately.  Since this round of marathon training only requires that I run 3 days a week, I've been doing some awesome cross training in the form of both swimming and biking.  Turns out that I'm really working out no less than an hour a day, six days a week.
Weight loss?  Not so much.  Oh well.


I've been seeing and hearing a lot of interesting things that I keep meaning to blog about...but then I forget.  You know how it goes :)

Last night, I saw a man walking his dog who had an awesome, white, ZZ TOP-esque beard.  Wednesday, I saw him riding his bike.  I hope to see this man every time I'm at the trail--that beard is awesome.

Then there was the lady wearing the old-school sweat suit.  You know, the kind that I assume wrestlers wear to sweat weight off before a big match...it's basically a plastic shopping bag and was clinging to her with condensation visible.  Sick.  I figured she was trying to sweat off some water--but then she was chugging from a water bottle.  I dunno.

I also ran past a mom and a little girl riding together on a bicycle-built-for-two (sing it-- you know you want to). The little girl informed me, "Good job with the running."  Awwwww.

On Wednesday, I was riding my bike at Grant's Trail and some guy in JORTS was drafting off me for like 7 miles.  It made me SUPER uncomfortable because I could hear him, probably a foot behind me, huffing and changing gears.  It killed my self-esteem, but was probably worse for him.  Seriously--who drafts off a chick on a California Cruiser?  Only a man biking while wearing jorts.

Tuesday I did speed work at the Affton.  While I was there, a guy doing lunges.  He did a full QUARTER of a mile.  Can you imagine this?  I can barely do lunges across the room without whining and screaming in pain. I asked him if he was training for something or just a bad-ass.  Turns out, he's just a bad-ass. Impressed.

I run in Forest Park most weekends.  The past few, I've seen a man with dreadlocks down to his feet (literally, ankle-length). Merrily power-walking.  That's a lot of hair to drag around a park.

In case you don't know, I upload all of my workouts onto Dailymile (there's a widget on the right side of the screen).  Dailymile automatically posts on to Facebook, meaning the whole world gets to see all of my workouts.  Most of the time, the feedback is positive...but one of David's friends did a status update calling people like me narcissistic.  I know it sort of is...but I really like the accountability.  I get a lot of positive feedback from people I talk to on a regular basis.  What do you think?  Should I stop the narcissistic posts and just start playing Farmville?

No comments:

Post a Comment