Thursday, May 26, 2011

Storms

We had some crazy storms in St.Louis yesterday afternoon.

It started raining as I was walking out of work and David started texting me telling me to hurry.  I didn't think much of it, as David is a natural worrier, but decided to skip the gym to appease him.
Yeah, it wasn't hard to convince me--they wouldn't let me swim anyway in the storm.

I hit some major hail while on I-44, but figured it was just some hail, so I got off the interstate and drove side roads home.  Rain, but nothing bad.
About a block from home, I got texts from my friends Laura and Susan, asking if I was in my basement.  I was going to ask them why, and then the sirens started going off.

Yikes.

Turns out, Affton had wall clouds or funnel clouds spotted on the ground.  I would have known this, but I was listening to my positive pregnancy affirmation CD from hypnobabies.
Oops.

Anyway, I high-tailed it home and scurried to the basement with the fur-babies.  I tried to get Maggie Roo to go outside, but she was having none of that.

David got home about 20 minutes after me (after TONS of furious texting and phone calls that couldn't be connected) and we hid in the basement--until it sounded like someone was jumping around on our main floor.

So, being intelligent, we go upstairs to check it out.  No one broke into our house--the hail was just CRAZY loud.
You can't really tell--but there was a crap ton of hail.  
The whole time I was taking this, David kept yelling for me to close the door and go back downstairs.

After the hail stopped, I wanted to go outside and look at it.
I know, I know.  Bad idea.
But I'm stubborn and told David the only way I wouldn't go outside was if he went out and found some "good" hail for me. 
He came back with this--and it had been melting for at least 20 minutes here.

A smaller piece...next to a gross tennis ball of Maggie's.  

We were lucky in the storm--both of our cars have some minor hail damage (I think the dents will pop out in the heat on their own) and that's about it.  No limbs down, nothing broken.

I am ready for the storm season to be over!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I'm so glad you both made it home before the hail got to that size. It could have cracked a windshield had you been driving on the interstate.

    ReplyDelete