Monday, May 3, 2010

Hospital Hill

So.... Hospital Hill is the half-marathon on June 5th in Kansas City that I was considering running, mostly because Cher says she's going to run it and, well, I like Cher.  She's a good sister-in-law.
Even if she's faster than me.


Anyway, I looked at my calendar and noticed that David and I are going to Kansas the weekend before for a wedding reception.  I didn't want to drive back home two weekends in a row (come on!  It's 5 hours!) and mentioned the race that I wasn't going to run to Dad on the phone.  He kept mentioning that family members might really enjoy watching that race, especially since it was in KC...not all the way in St. Louis or San Fransisco.

I felt some guilt.

Then I talked with Mom and realized that I wouldn't see her on Mother's Day because I would have to drive over 19 hours (in a 50 hour period) in order to see her.

I felt some more guilt.

So I talked with David and we figured out a plan that entailed me staying in Kansas for the  week between the wedding and the half marathon and him taking the Megabus back to St. Louis so he wouldn't miss any work.  Then... during a lovely girls' night (where I was enjoying my new favorite drink: Sweet Tea Vodka and Diet Lemonade!!!) I realized that I needed to do a couple of long runs.

I ran 12 miles Saturday... and it went fine.  I was actually impressed with myself because I NEVER drink before a run longer than 8-9 miles.  No puking, no fainting, all was right with the world.  I had a plan to negate some of my guilt and was on the mileage track for a half marathon.

Except for then I talked with Mom.  Turns out she's driving to Philadelphia with my grandparents and won't be around during the race or much of the week before it.

Now, I'm back to the drawing board.  I don't know whether to run this race or not.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment